The First Presbyterian Church in New Canaan, Connecticut, is looking for a Full-Time Salaried Director of Youth and Children’s Ministries to replace the former Director who answered a new call. We are eager to consider all candidates from any sources and have engaged an Executive Search Consultant to manage the interviewing and selection process. Please feel free to share the information here with anyone who may be interested in learning more or know of a candidate who may be interested.
Please forward this information to anyone who can assist us in identifying candidates. If you have any questions or want to refer someone, please send resumes, Curriculum Vitae, cover letters/emails to the church at APSearch at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Every interested person will receive a response from the Search Consultant who will schedule a telephone interview to initiate the process of consideration. A short list of candidates who meet the required qualifications will be sent to the hiring manager, the Senior Pastor, for further consideration.
The First Presbyterian Church of New Canaan seeks to be a safe and sacred space, a beloved community, a church where people come to grow, to rest, and be healed. A community where you can let go of your defenses and be free, where laughter and tears flow as freely as God’s grace. No matter where you are in your faith journey, you are welcome here.
“Our Mission is to LIVE SPIRITUALLY, to LOVE INCLUSIVELY, to LEARN CONTINUOUSLY, and to LEAVE A LEGACY”
As a cathedral for the human spirit we strive to enrich the spiritual and cultural life of our community. We believe that all of life is a theater for the Glory of God. We celebrate the interconnectedness of the sacred and the secular, outstanding music and liturgy, an expansive Choir School, and innovative dramatic and visual arts.
As a congregation of inclusivity, we strive to welcome all people into the life of our church. We are a friendly and caring church where people of all ages, backgrounds, and life situations are always welcomed, and where our differences are celebrated and respected. We encourage the openness and authentic humanness that breaks down barriers of fear and builds bridges of trust and love.
As a center for progressive Christianity, we strive to nurture the development of resilient faith and noble values from earliest childhood, through adolescence, to mature adulthood. We are “a thinking person’s church.” We enjoy the challenge of worshipping God with our minds. We believe that all of life’s big questions are spiritual, and while there are neither easy nor ready answers, we seek to provide an open forum in which to explore them. We seek to deepen our commitment to the truth of our Christian tradition while at the same time discovering and respecting the truth of others’ traditions.
LEAVE A LEGACY
As a catalyst for social change, we strive to make a meaningful difference in the world and leave it a better place than we found it. We are committed to the ministry of the laity in society. We seek to be the hands and heart of God, loving others by sharing our time, talents, and resources, inspiring and empowering individuals to become all they can be, as well as creating just social structures.
Reports directly to Senior Pastor Reverend Dr. R. Scott Herr (“Scott”)
The Director is one who can connect with and nurture our youth and children, guide them in their spiritual growth, and create a special place in the church for them. The Director will be part of a warm, welcoming, tight knit team of senior personnel who are leading by word and deed into the next season of realizing the church’s vision and agenda.
The Director has:
- Drive and enthusiasm to build an enticing program of events covering various age-ranges
- Collaboration skills to encourage participation and engage others to help
- Experience working in small teams, with a focus on youth and children’s programming
- Calling to take an important leadership role during a period of significant change
- Christian Education and Children’s Ministry:
- Provide weekly Children’s Worship to teach our children (pre-K-5th) about the major stories of the Bible, with special emphasis on a 3-year rotation of major Bible stories of the seasons and sacraments of the Christian year (Christmas, Easter, Pentecost, Baptism, Lord’s Supper, etc.).
- Organize and help run the major events Children’s Ministry provides (Rally Day, Harvest Fest, Advent workshop, March Madness, Movie Night, Egg hunt, etc.).
- Assist with Children’s Christmas Pageant.
- Organize Youth participation in regular Sunday worship.
- Assist with confirmation class.
- Provide leadership and build youth groups for middle and high school youth, emphasis on fellowship, mission, and spiritual growth.
- Organize junior and senior high summer mission trips. Provide a fall mission weekend (example: 30 Hr. Famine). Organize a winter retreat weekend (example: Ski Retreat).
- Co-Run and organize the youth committee (parent input and support for the activities).
- Assist in worship, as requested.
- Congregational Life
- Assist the Elder for Congregational Life and the Director of Music, as requested, in identifying youth to assist with the major fellowship events of the year.
- Mission Committee
- Youth liaison to the Mission and Outreach Committee.
- Assist the Elder for Mission and Outreach to organize, plan and execute mission events and programs which are meaningful and intergenerational.
- Other Duties may be assigned without regard to the Youth and Children’s Ministry duties and responsibilities.
- One or more years’ experience in a Christian Education setting in a Protestant Church or organization in which he/she had primary responsibility for programs
- Demonstrated success for building programs
- Demonstrated collaboration skills
- Experience working in small teams
- Desire to be a strong leader for change
- Two or more years’ experience in Christian Education in a Presbyterian PC-USA or Reformed Church
- Experience as a top leader in a Christian Education setting
- Experience contributing ideas in a music worship setting
- Bachelor’s Degree
- Formal training in Christian Education and/or Theological studies
- Community outreach experience
Compensation will be commensurate with qualifications and experience for the geographic area of Stamford and New Canaan, Connecticut.