The First Presbyterian Church of New Canaan, CT is currently seeking a Director of Music/Organist to continue our rich tradition of music excellence. The Director shall be a valued member of the worship leadership team of FPCNC. The Director will report to the Pastor and be responsible for the overall Music Ministry of the church, providing vibrant and engaging leadership, direction, supervision and music education skills.
The Director has
- Proven excellence in choral rehearsing and conducting
- Excellent organ and piano skills
- Knowledge of a wide range of sacred music styles and genres
- Experience working with all age groups, ability and interest in directing small ensembles (trios, duets, solos)
- The ability to generate and maintain enthusiasm for music within the congregation through positivity and creative energy
- The ability to inspire others while enlarging our music ministry both within the church and out into the community.
- Direct the Church Choir and oversee music for Sunday worship services throughout the year (10:00 a.m. worship).
- Play the organ/piano for all services, rehearsals and events held at the church, including weddings and funerals, Ash Wednesday, Maundy Thursday, two Christmas Eve Services, two Easter Services and concerts.
- Work collaboratively with the pastor(s) on the church music ministry and attend weekly staff meetings.
- Attend Music, Worship and Arts Committee meetings, when scheduled, and maintain effective communication.
- Use of both familiar and new repertory to enhance the worship experience.
- Plan, arrange for and conduct the church choir and guest instrumental ensembles in seasonal concerts, as scheduled during the year.
- Direct the English Handbell Choir (adults and children) for seasonal performances.
- Bring a collaborative working relationship with area musicians and music schools with a desire to cultivate and highlight local musical talent through concerts and recitals.
- Create and bring special musical and artistic events for the church and community.
- Advise and coordinate hiring of section leaders and guest instrumental and vocal soloists.
- Recruit persons to sing or perform in the church choir and musical groups.
- Monitor and oversee the music budget.
- Supervise the maintenance of all instruments (organ, pianos, harpsichord, hand bells, etc). as well as the church’s choir robes.
- Maintain and expand the music library within the church budget.
Possible responsibilities in the future:
Children’s and/or Youth Choir
Cooperate with and support development of additional worship service
Please submit resume and music files to Armin Thies, Elder at FPCNCmusicdirectorsearch@gmail.com